The Kentucky Commissioner of Education is seeking applications for appointment to the Knox County Board of Education. You are invited to nominate yourself or someone you know who is qualified to serve on the Knox County Board of Education representing
- Educational Division # 1
This appointment is effective until
- The November 2019 regular election.
This is a public service position. The appointee will not be employed by the Knox County Public Schools.
Serving on the school board is an important public service. School board members are leaders in the community and play a critical role in ensuring students receive the high quality education they deserve.
- Developing policy that governs the operation of schools;
- Providing visionary leadership that establishes long-range plans and programs for the district;
- Hiring the district superintendent and issuing annual evaluation reports;
- Setting local tax rates and practicing vigorous stewardship to ensure that all school district funds are spent wisely.
Board members must be:
- At least 24 years old;
- A Kentucky citizen for the last three years;
- A registered voter in the district and voter precinct(s) of the vacancy. (county district, list vacant educational division here);
- Have a high school diploma or a GED certificate; and Meet all other qualifications set forth in law (KRS 160.180).
Applications must be completed and mailed by April 18, 2019 Applications are available at:
- Knox County Public Schools website
- Knox County Central Office, 200 Daniel Boone Drive, Barbourville, KY 40906
- The Kentucky Department of Education website: http://education.ky.gov/districts/legal/Pages/default.aspx
All applications must be mailed directly to: Kentucky Department of Education, Commissioner of Education, c/o Office of Legal Services, 300 Sower Blvd. 5th Floor, Frankfort, KY 40601. No applications will be accepted at the Knox County Board of Education Central Office.
Interviews will be conducted approximately 1-3 weeks after this mail date. All qualified applications received by the date stated above will be considered.