The Kentucky Commissioner of Education is seeking applications to be considered for appointment to the Knox County Board of Education. You are invited to nominate yourself or someone you know who is qualified to serve on the Knox County Board of Education representing District #4.
This vacancy was created by the resignation of a Board member as accepted by the Commissioner of Education on April 22, 2016.
Under the provisions of KRS 160.190(2), this appointment is effective until the end of the elected term in November 2016.
This is a public service position and the person appointed will not be employed by the Knox County Public Schools.
Board members must meet the requirements of KRS 160.180 including, but not limited to:
- Must be at least 24 years old;
- A Kentucky citizen for the last three years;
- A registered voter in the district and voter precinct(s) of the vacancy which is District #4 of the Knox County Public Schools;
- Have a high school diploma or GED certificate;
- Must be in compliance with anti-nepotism state laws;
- Cannot provide contract services for the school district.
School Board members are involved primarily in the following areas:
- Developing policy that governs the operation of schools;
- Providing visionary leadership that establishes long-range plans and programs for the district;
- Hiring the district superintendent and issuing annual evaluation reports;
- Setting local tax rates and practicing vigorous stewardship to ensure that all school district funds are spent wisely.
Applications must be postmarked by Monday, May 9, 2016.
All applications must be mailed directly to:
Commissioner of Education
1st Floor, Capital Plaza Tower
500 Mero Street
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
The Kentucky Department of Education and the Knox County Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services.