The Knox County Board of Education conducted their August meeting on Thursday, August 24, 6:30pm, at the Board of Education Annex in Barbourville.
Students and staff recognized during the meeting included:
- Central Elementary kindergarten students led the Pledge of Allegiance
- New teachers were introduced
- Preschool teachers were recognized for earning 5 stars as part of the Kentucky All Stars early childhood ratings.
- Knox Central High School was applauded for receiving notification that their school based decision making council (SBDM) will be reinstated following two successful years of growth and exiting priority status.
Among the action items approved were:
- Agreements with external booster clubs and receiving acknowledgement of donations made to school activity funds.
- Utility easement with the Kentucky Finance and Administration Cabinet for the purpose of broadband expansion.
- Renewal and new contracts with vendors including copiers, visual impairment services, Microsoft licensing, School Dude, and STI Air Source.
- Memorandum of agreements with Berea College for PartnerCorps, the University of Kentucky for continuation of Teacher Leader, and Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College for dual credit.
- Advertisement for request for proposals to provide dental services.
- Set the 2018 Real Estate, Personal Property and Aircraft Tax Rates at 53.2, a rate increase of four percent.
- An increase of 3% to the base salary paid for all full time employees.
An official copy of the minutes from the August 24 meeting will be available once approved at the next Board meeting. A copy of the published agenda for the meeting is available below.