High school seniors reminded to apply for financial aid

Although graduation may still be a few months away, the Knox County Public Schools are reminding high school seniors that it’s time to apply for federal student aid.  The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is used to apply for federal, state and college-based financial aid. The easiest way to submit the FAFSA is online at fafsa.gov. Dependent students must include parental information on the FAFSA.

College coaches with the school district  recommend that you file your FAFSA application as soon as possible after January 1 before all of the funding is exhausted. You do not necessarily have to complete this year’s tax return in order to file the FAFSA.  To start the application process, visit www.fafsa.gov

What You Will Need

  • All 2014 federal income tax forms. If you have not yet filed, you can find all forms on www.irs.gov. If you have filed but did not keep copies, you can call the IRS at 800.829.1040.
  • All 2014 W-2 forms and, if applicable, Unemployment Form 1099-G. If you do not have copies, contact your employer or call the IRS at 800.829.1040.
  • A personal identification number (PIN) if you are submitting the FAFSA online. You can request a PIN at pin.ed.gov.
  • Student’s driver’s license number if applicable.
  • Social Security numbers for the student and parents. If you do not have a Social Security number, call the Social Security Administration at 800.772.1213 or visit socialsecurity.gov.
  • Birth dates and date parents were married, separated, divorced or widowed.
  • Current cash and checking/savings account balances.
  • Current investment values (stocks, savings bonds, mutual funds, CDs) excluding parent’s home and retirement plans.
  • Current business value.
  • Current investment farm value.
  • 2014 child support paid or received. If you did not keep records, you can contact your local child support office or call 800.443.1576.
  • 2014 worker’s compensation benefits. If you did not keep records, contact your employer.
  • 2014 housing/food/living allowance for military and clergy. This information is on the Leave and Earnings Statement for military personnel and on the W-2 form for members of the clergy.
  • Veteran’s noneducation benefits, If you did not keep records, call the Department of Veterans Affairs at 800.827.1000 or visit va.gov.
  • Student Alien Registration Number for eligible non-citizens. If you need one, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Services website at infopass.uscis.gov.